Ever wondered how to import goods to the UK by sea freight, if you don’t have enough to fill a full container? LCL (Less than Container Load) shipping is the answer – and here’s the lowdown!
Here’s a brief overview of how importing goods from overseas works via sea freight, if you have enough goods to fill a full container:
The stages in the shipping process:
What you do:
- Send your requirements and receive a simple quote (including all foreseeable costs to your door)
- Send us your supplier’s contact details
- Relax whilst we give you progress updates throughout the shipment
- Pay one all-inclusive invoice (via bank transfer)
- Sign for delivery
What we do:
- Receive your requirements
- Establish the best method to ship your goods for price and service quality using the best placed overseas agents (we have multiple at each location)
- Construct a single price that includes all foreseeable charges to ship the goods to your door so you don’t have to worry about hidden charges (which can unfortunately rear their ugly heads regularly in shipping!)
- Answer any questions that you may have about the shipping process; we’re happy to devote as much time as you need to answering questions. We appreciate that shipping can be a daunting process and want to make it as simple as possible for you
- When you send us your supplier’s contact details, we’ll have our agent, local to them, make contact in their own language to book the goods onto the ship (or plane)
- We’ll manage the booking process to ensure that the goods are with you as soon as possible by booking the vessel with the earliest arrival date rather than the shortest transit time
- We’ll ensure our agent clears your goods smoothly through customs and gets them into a container and onto the boat as they are exported from their country of origin
- When the goods are on their way to you, we’ll ensure that everything required to clear your products through UK Customs is in place. If you do not have a VAT/EORI number then we’ll fill in the technical bits on the EORI application form and send it to you to email across to HMRC.
- When the goods land in the UK, we’ll clear them through UK Customs with the lowest relevant duty rating and pay HMRC on your behalf (we don’t charge an extra fee for this, unlike other companies)
- We’ll send you one all-inclusive invoice including the Freight fee, UK Duty and VAT on it for you to pay before the goods are delivered
- We’ll have the container with your goods unpacked into a warehouse where your shipment will be made ready for delivery
- We’ll arrange the best day for delivery with you and book it accordingly. If you have specific delivery requirements, we’ll help with them too
- We’ll deliver your goods safely to you
- We’ve got it down to a T so you can sit back and relax. Simple!